Thursday, March 4, 2010

Oil Painting - Week 7





Here's my still life set up, before I had to modify and eliminate the three clementines on the table. Below it is the final drawing after three hours of drawing in class! (oops, reversed picture taken with computer)

I'd drawn the bowl before class, then transferred it to the canvas. When I went to draw the clementines in the bowl, they didn't fit--the bowl was not wide enough--the proportions were off.

In the past, I would have let it go and jumped right in on shading or painting. But John came over to my easel and suggested re-drawing it to correct the errors. He said something that will stay with me a long time...Bad paintings are often the result of a bad drawing and the artist's trying to correct the drawing by moving the paint around. It doesn't work.

Yep. That's me, trying to correct with paint what was not right in the first place.

So, I re-drew the bowl, and viola! Very happy. Onward to painting next week. Hope I can hold onto what I like about the drawing when I get to the painting.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger